Although we always hope you will join our list for adopting or fostering a Dachshund in need – we appreciate a older Dachshund isn’t always best suited to your home and a puppy is your best option. With that in mind we still want to offer our experience and advice when buying a Dachshund Puppy, but we hope you’ll think hard about your situation and research the breed before you buy!
There are 6 things to consider primarily when buying a puppy
- Make sure you see both parents in a home environment.
- KC papers don’t always mean the puppy is what it says it is.
- Is the colour of the puppy a recognised colour? (Here’s a link on colours)
- Have you been able to see the puppy interacting with it’s parents and siblings?
- Is the price a reasonable price (anything above £1800 is too much!)
- Has the puppy had the appropriate health testings – I.e Lafora or PRA.
The breed council have also put together a fantastic page on buying a Dachshund puppy that is worth a visit for more information:- https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LllodKDQb8FYRcWWKVqbZpqytQwsYhuZIXRX_ubw32c/present?slide=id.g1a5534f_0_240